Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Once Saved Always Saved



Question: What do you think about once saved always saved?

Answer submitted by Pastor Erik Neilson.

First, let me say that we do not believe this is an essential doctrine (we can be wrong about this and still be saved). What you believe or understand about this topic does not gain or cost you your salvation. I hope we all agree on that.

Second, I do personally believe that someone can lose their salvation, but not everyone at Adventure agrees with me and that's ok.There are passages in the Scripture which warn us against falling away and passages that make that seem unlikely. I want to be intellectually honest with my people about that. People on both sides of this issue have convincing arguments and the dialogue on this topic shouldn't sink down into name calling but should focus on what the Scripture says. I would encourage people to pray and wrestle with tough passages/doctrines and not to just blindly believe what their pastor says.

Third, while I do believe that losing your salvation is possible I have never ever told someone who is a back-slidden Christian that they have lost their salvation. Not one time. This is important because theology means nothing if it's not practical. When a Christian is caught in sin, or has been away from Christ, I help lead them to repentance and get them back on track. (Gal 6:1-2)

So, why do I believe that someone could lose their salvation? Because of passages I find in Scripture that I can't explain away. The problem with interpreting Scripture is that we all proof-text our beliefs. We find verses that seem to support our point of view. But basic interpretation of Scripture calls us to consider all of what Scripture says on a topic and not just certain verses.

Those who believe salvation cannot be lost point to Scripture like these:
  • John 10:28-29 “I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand.” 
  • John 6:37 “However, those the Father has given me will come to me, and I will never reject them.” 
  • Rev 3:5 “All who are victorious will be clothed in white. I will never erase their names from the Book of Life, but I will announce before my Father and his angels that they are mine.” 
  • Romans 8:38-39 “And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.” 
  • Hebrews 13:5 “Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, “I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.” 

Those who believe it is possible to lose salvation are looking at verses like these:
  • 2 Peter 3:17 “You already know these things, dear friends. So be on guard; then you will not be carried away by the errors of these wicked people and lose your own secure footing.” (people abandoning truth for wickedness and false teaching lose security) 
  • James 5:19-20 “My dear brothers and sisters, if someone among you wanders away from the truth and is brought back, you can be sure that whoever brings the sinner back from wandering will save that person from death and bring about the forgiveness of many sins.” (a brother or sister saved from death after wandering away) 
  • Colossians 1:23 “But you must continue to believe this truth and stand firmly in it. Don’t drift away from the assurance you received when you heard the Good News.” (why warn us not to drift away if we cannot drift away?) 
  • Hebrews 2:1-3 “So we must listen very carefully to the truth we have heard, or we may drift away from it. For the message God delivered through angels has always stood firm, and every violation of the law and every act of disobedience was punished. Sowhat makes us think we can escape if we ignore this great salvation that was first announced by the Lord Jesus himself and then delivered to us by those who heard him speak?” (if we drift away what makes us think we will escape punishment?) 
  • Hebrews 3:12 “Be careful then, dear brothers and sisters. Make sure that your own hearts are not evil and unbelieving, turning you away from the living God.” (He's clearly talking to Christians here) 
  • Hebrews 6:4-6 “For it is impossible to bring back to repentance those who were once enlightened—those who have experienced the good things of heaven and shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the power of the age to come— and who then turn away from God. It is impossible to bring such people back to repentance; by rejecting the Son of God, they themselves are nailing him to the cross once again and holding him up to public shame. (This passage troubles me more than all the others. It seems there is a line that cannot be crossed and not uncrossed.) 

This is just a sampling of the verses on both sides of the issue. I have 100% confidence that I am secure in my salvation. I have 100% confidence that my salvation is secured because of Christ's action and not because of mine. I have no fear whatsoever that my soul is in jeopardy because of my relationship with Christ. I hope all of you feel the same! But, who are these verses written about? Who are they written to? Surely, the writers of Scripture had someone in mind as they said these things. And from real life practical experience (and Scripture) we see people walk out on Jesus Christ all the time. Not have a bad day. Not have a struggle with sin. Not miss church for a few months. I think these verses are talking about people that fall into two categories: Those who were never really saved in the first place but had everyone fooled. And second, I think these verses are addressing those who commit the unpardonable sin. Not just any sin but the sin that Jesus said will not be forgiven: Luke 12:10 says, "Anyone who speaks against the Son of Man can be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven." The blasphemy of the Spirit is the total renunciation of faith. It is the complete severing of the relationship with Jesus. It's not unforgivable because God is unable to forgive it, it's unforgivable because those who have blasphemed the Spirit don't want to be forgiven. I suspect this is very uncommon which leads me to say, it's possible for someone to lose their salvation but it doesn't happen accidentally. It happens from willful and total rebellion and renouncement of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment